File photo shows people are screened for Ebola virus disease (EVD) at the Nimule border in Nimule, the southern part of South Sudan, June 20, 2019. (Xinhua/Daniel Majak)
South Sudan has denied reports of an Ebola outbreak following the mysterious deaths of three people in the northwestern town of Raja last week.
JUBA, Oct. 13 (Xinhua) -- South Sudan on Monday denied reports of an Ebola outbreak following the mysterious deaths of three people in the northwestern town of Raja last week.
Local media reported last week that three people died of suspected hemorrhagic fever in Raja county, raising fears of an Ebola outbreak in the conflict-torn east African country.
John Rumunu, director of preventive health services at South Sudan's ministry of health said there is no Ebola outbreak in the country.
"I would like to emphasize that there is no Ebola virus in South Sudan and there is no reason to panic," Rumunu told journalists during the health ministry's weekly briefing on Monday.
The official said all the suspected cases were tested for Ebola and the results turned out negative.
"The ministry of health would like to inform the public that the samples tested negative for Ebola Virus Disease and other forms of Viral Hemorrhagic Fever," Rumunu said.
Rumunu said the health ministry is working with partners to establish the cause of death of the three people and also strengthen preventive measures as South Sudan's western neighbor, the Democratic Republic of Congo continues to battle the Ebola virus. ■