CAIRO, Dec. 21 (Xinhua) -- Egypt's Public Prosecution on Thursday handed over to its Italian counterpart new investigation reports and documents on the last year murder of Italian student Giulio Regeni.
In a statement, Public Prosecution said that Egypt's top prosecutor Nabil Sadeq met with Rome chief prosecutor Giuseppe Pignatone.
During the meeting, Sadeq and Pignatone have reviewed the progress made by a company tasked with recovering recordings of Cairo Metro stations, where the victim was present before his disappearance, the statement read.
Rome prosecutors have provided a detailed explanation for the facts of the case, the statement noted.
The Egyptian public prosecution had received a copy of a report prepared by the Italian judicial police, saying it will complete inquiries, in light of assumptions exchanged between the two parties, according to the statement.
Italian doctoral student Regeni, 28, disappeared on Jan. 25, 2016.
His tortured, half-naked body was found on a roadside in Cairo nine days after his disappearance, casting a shadow on the diplomatic relations between the two countries.
A few weeks later, the Egyptian police said they busted a five-member gang in Cairo and found Regeni's handbag with his passport and student ID card at the residence of a gang member's relative.
Regeni's disappearance came amid intensive security in Cairo and other major cities in Egypt ahead of the anniversary of the Jan. 25 uprising that toppled long-time ruler Hosni Mubarak in 2011.