TRIPOLI, Jan. 6 (Xinhua) -- A security force of the Libyan Interior Ministry on Saturday successfully dismantled an explosive device in the center of the capital Tripoli.
The Joint Deterrence and Interference Force said on its official Facebook account that after receiving a report about a bag of explosives in Al-Drebi area, where the night patrols were stationed, the counter-terrorism bureau was immediately informed and headed to the site along with patrols of the force.
The place was cordoned off to ensure the safety of civilians, the force added.
It said that an explosives expert of the counter-terrorism bureau dismantled the device, a howitzer tank shell connected to a lightning wire and a mobile phone.
The force also stressed that precautionary actions have been taken, calling on residents to cooperate by reporting any suspicious bodies.
A local source told Xinhua earlier on Saturday that a car bomb exploded in the town of Salouq on the outskirts of the eastern Libyan city of Benghazi on Saturday, causing no casualties.
Libya has been suffering insecurity and chaos since the fall of Muammar Gaddafi's regime in 2011. The North African nation is plagued with political division and escalating violence.