TEHRAN, May 23 (Xinhua) -- At least 15 people have died and more than 1,000 are sick after eating wild mushrooms in recent weeks in some western provinces of Iran, local media reported.
There is no effective treatment for this kind of poisoning, which is caused by deadly fungi that are barely distinguishable from edible ones, according to Iran's Tasnim News Agency.
At least two people have received liver transplants.
Health authorities urge people not to buy or consume loose mushrooms, which are growing wild in mountainous regions of Iran's west after spring rains.
Reports suggest that there are more mushrooms growing than usual due to unprecedented rainfall over the past months.