ADEN, Yemen, Feb. 3 (Xinhua) -- Yemen's deputy chief-of-staff died on Sunday of wounds he sustained during the Houthi drone strike in Yemen's southern province of Lahj last month, a government official told Xinhua.
The government source said on anonymity that General Saleh Zindani, died of his wounds in a hospital in the United Arab Emirates where he was receiving treatment following the Houthi drone attack launched against the strategic military air base of Anad.
Zindani was among several senior army commanders injured in the Houthi drone strike, which left six soldiers killed and more than 26 others injured.
A few days following the bloody attack, Saleh Tamah, chief of Yemen's military intelligence agency, died of wounds he sustained during the same attack.
The Houthis claimed responsibility for the attack, describing it as "a response to the continued raids of Saudi aggression targeting innocent citizens."
Yemeni observers warned that the Houthi drone strike which targeted the Saudi-backed Yemeni army commanders could jeopardize the ongoing efforts aimed at ending the country's conflict peacefully.
The impoverished Arab country has been locked into a civil war since the Houthi rebels overran much of the country militarily and seized all northern provinces, including the capital Sanaa, in 2014.
Saudi Arabia leads an Arab military coalition that intervened in Yemen in 2015 to support the government of Yemeni President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi after the Houthis forced him into exile.
The United Nations has listed Yemen as the country suffering the world's top humanitarian crisis, with 7 million people on the brink of famine.