ADEN, Yemen, March 25 (Xinhua) -- Intense fighting erupted between government forces and the Houthi rebels in different areas of the Red Sea port city of Hodeidah on Monday, killing three people, local sources said.
Over the past few hours, fierce armed confrontations broke out between government forces and Houthi rebels in several areas on the outskirts of Hodeidah, residents told Xinhua.
Various heavy weapons were used in the armed confrontations mainly on the eastern outskirts of Hodeidah, causing huge explosions, they added.
Other local sources said three civilians were killed, including a child, when a mortar shell fired by the Houthis landed on a residential neighborhood in the southern part of Hodeidah.
The warring forces have so far failed to withdraw from Hodeidah and its southern districts in accordance with the UN-sponsored Stockholm Agreement.
The deal aimed to avert an all-out offensive on the lifeline port city, which is the key entry of Yemen's most commercial imports and international aid.
The Saudi-led military coalition intervened in Yemen in March 2015 to support the government of President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi after Houthi rebels forced him into exile and seized much of the country's north, including the capital Sanaa and Hodeidah.
The four-year civil war has killed more than 10,000 people, mostly civilians, displaced 3 million others, and pushed the country to the brink of famine.