UNITED NATIONS, June 6 (Xinhua) -- Casualties of health workers in Libya has reached six killed and 10 injured since the start of hostilities in early April, a UN spokesman said Thursday.
At a press briefing, spokesman for the UN secretary-general Farhan Haq said the United Nations has received reports that a field hospital in Al-Swani in Libya's Tripoli district was hit by shelling Thursday, increasing the casualty toll of health workers.
Also, two more ambulances were hit earlier this week, resulting in the complete destruction of one ambulance, said Haq, adding 16 ambulances have been damaged or destroyed and three health facilities have been fully evacuated due to the conflict.
He urged medical personnel trying to reach and assist casualties must be respected and protected in all circumstances, as must medical facilities and transportation.
On April 4, self-proclaimed Libyan National Army began its advance on the UN-recognized government in Tripoli, setting off refreshed violence in the North African country.
Libya has descended into chaos since the 2011 unrest that toppled long-time leader Muammar Gaddafi.