NANNING, June 10 (Xinhua) -- Five people were killed and one remains missing after heavy downpours hit south China's Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region, local authorities said Monday.
Casualties have been reported in many parts of the region.
In Quanzhou, one of the worst-hit counties in Guangxi, five people were killed and one still missing. The city proper of the county is currently facing water supply problems.
Around 180,000 residents of the county have been affected by the downpours, 5,000 hectares of crops were damaged and 87 rooms collapsed.
Roads, bridges, water conservancy facilities, power stations and water plants have been seriously damaged. Power supply to more than 20,000 households in the county has been affected.
All ferry services in the county have been suspended.
The county said more than 500 personnel have been mobilized to take part in the emergency rescue, neighboring counties and districts have also joined in the rescue efforts.
So far, more than 800 trapped residents have been rescued, with nearly 8,400 relocated.