TRIPOLI, July 12 (Xinhua) -- Libya's UN-backed government said on Thursday that the latest military operation by the east-based army has prompted the return of terrorism in the country.
"The Council has warned immediately after the attack on Tripoli that terrorist organizations benefit from this aggression," the Presidential Council of the Government of National Accord said in a statement.
"We explained then that this unjustified war that has been imposed in the Libyans will provide the perfect conditions and platform for the return of terrorism that we destroyed in Sirte and other cities," it said.
The government particularly condemned Thursday's car bomb explosion, saying it was a "terrorist bombing" that "violates humanitarian values and our peaceful religion."
The car bomb blast hit the military funeral of a former army commander in Benghazi, Libya's second largest city, killing at least four soldiers of the east-based army and injuring 32 others.
The army has been leading a military campaign to take over the capital city Tripoli from the UN-backed government since early April.
The fighting has so far killed more than 1,000 and wounded over 5,000, according to the World Health Organization.
Libya has been suffering escalating violence and political instability ever since the fall of the late leader Muammar Gaddafi's government in 2011.