ADEN, Yemen, Aug. 2 (Xinhua) -- The Islamic State (IS) extremist group on Friday claimed responsibility for a suicide car bombing that struck a police station in Yemen's southern port city of Aden.
The IS group said in a brief statement that "a jihadist member named as Aqeel AlMuhjir carried out an operation and detonated his explosives-laden vehicle in Sheikh Othman police station."
The IS revealed the suicide bomber's personal picture, claiming that he succeeded in blowing himself in the police center killing and injuring dozens of Yemeni security soldiers at the scene.
Earlier in the day, the Yemeni authorities tightened security in several neighborhoods of Aden province after deadly missile and car bomb attacks struck the newly-recruited military force, leaving 49 killed in the southern city.
Heavy security forces backed by armored vehicles were deployed around key government facilities and military bases located in different neighborhoods of Aden.
On Thursday, the Aden-based Interior Ministry said that 13 security soldiers died in a suicide car bombing attack that targeted a police station in Sheikh Othman neighborhood of Aden.
Yemeni government officials, including high-ranking security commanders and intelligence officers, have been the prime targets in attacks by unknown gunmen during the past months.
Considered Yemen's temporary capital, Aden is where the Saudi-backed Yemeni government has based itself since 2015.
The impoverished Arab country has been locked into a civil war since late 2014, when Shiite Houthi rebels overran much of the country and seized all northern provinces, including the capital Sanaa.